top of page

A Toothy Tale

Good morning. It is Wednesday, June 8 2022. Jeanette Stark here.

I could use your prayers this morning. I am having a tooth pulled.

You may have read my post a few weeks back regarding trying to get a crown on one of my back molars. It has really turned into a bit of a nightmare. It all started with a roller coaster ride.

Back in early December 2021, I traveled with my youngest son and two granddaughters to California. I was there by my son's invitation and his itinerary. We went to Six Flags and Knotts Berry Farm. We took a Hollywood Bus tour (my granddaughters idea) and we visited with my sister Kari. It was a fun time! We made wonderful memories. I rode more roller coasters in two days than I have in my entire lifetime. Scary, big, fast roller coasters. It was exhilarating. Kari treated us to a day at Knotts Berry Farm and of course, while there, you must ride The GhostRider.

This roller coast is the longest, tallest, and fastest wooden roller coaster on the West Coast! It's 118 feet tall at its peak and is one of the longest and tallest wooden roller coasters in the world.

They say there was a complete track refurbishment performed on the ride creating an "improved ride experience" with a smoother track back in 2015-16. If that made it smoother, I would not have enjoyed the 'before' experience. It was a bone-jarring, teeth-clenching ride. The back of the seats hit you about mid-back, with no neck support. When the ride was over I told my son "I'm glad I went, but I would never do that again."

We then took a break for lunch. While eating a french fry, a large portion of my tooth came off in mid-bite. That is a surprising experience by the way. I can only imagine it was due to the crazy ride and my clenched teeth.

Once back in Grants Pass I got in to see my dentist to have it fixed. She said "I can put something temporary on here, but you really need a crown."

And that is how it all started. Today is, hopefully, the end to a long journey and numerous visits to the dentist.

Day one, 2 1/2 hours in the chair with casting a mold for the tooth, numbing, grinding and fitting with a temporary crown. That night the crown came off.

The next day, day two, I was back in the chair for 1 1/2 hours. I was told they needed to take more of the tooth down. But first another casting for the permanent crown. Three times she tried to get my tooth numb with no success. My tongue was numb. My cheek was numb. But not my tooth. I finally said, just do what you have to do. (I was a bit done by then) She promised to work fast. I gripped the ends of the chair arms and we got through it. I left with my 2nd temporary crown.

Four days later, that crown came off. I went back for my third temporary crown.

One week later that crown came off. I went back for my fourth temporary crown. My dentist was out sick, so I saw another dentist. He informed me that he was going to have to grind down a very small portion of the tooth directly above the tooth they were working on. Fine.

One week later that crown came off. I went back in for a fifth temporary crown. The next morning that crown came off. By this time, I am frustrated. I have missed time at work. I have spent hours and hours in the dentist chair. As long as I did not get air, liquid or food on the tooth, I could tolerate it and decided not to go back, but to wait instead for the permanent crown to come. I finally got the call that it was ready. I was excited.

On the day of my appointment, I was happy and very optimistic. I sat in the chair and as she took the permanent crown in and out of my mouth trying to get it to fit, she finally touched my shoulder and said, "I have some bad news for you." I could only groan the word "Noooo."

She was kind and very apologetic, but she needed to take more of my tooth off! At this point I began to cry. I hate getting shots in my mouth. There is almost nothing I would rather not do, than have that done. I was embarrassed by the uncontrolled tears. I felt bad because I knew I was making her feel bad, but I could not keep the tears from flowing. After several minutes of wiping tears and blowing my nose, I was ready. She tried once again to numb my tooth. After two injections about 10 minutes apart, and with no success, she pulled up the x-ray.

"I'm so sorry, but I have more bad news for you..."

Long story short, the nerve in my tooth was now too close to the surface and they would not be able to get my tooth numb.

Option 1: Root Canal. Option 2: pull the tooth.

Since my insurance did not pay for a root canal, I opted for option #2

She put a sixth temporary crown on, and this time used the permanent 'glue' to hold it since I was having the tooth pulled anyway. The next morning, while brushing my teeth...any guesses? Yes, it came off.

I called the dentist office to let them know. She said, "we can get you in tomorrow." I politely declined and said, "no offense, but I have no confidence that a seventh temporary crown will stay in place.

That brings us up to today. I am nervous but anxious to get this chapter closed.

I was talking to friends about all of this and the husband said, "I'm looking forward to heaven's dental plan." Indeed!

Revelation 21:4 tells us that "...God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” NKJV

That is good news my friend!

I think of this time often. A time when all of sin and its horrible effects will be done away with. A time when we will know ONLY joy and happiness. A time when we can walk and talk with Jesus and worship face to face with our God.

Through this whole ordeal with the dentist, I was constantly praying "Father, help me be a good witness. Father help me show love and compassion. Father, please keep me kind and loving."

As I sign off for today, I just want to remind you, and me, that better days are coming. We have such a short time on earth, in this condition, but a better day is coming. Jesus promised he would make the earth new some day and I believe it. I long for that day. But until then, let's purpose in our hearts to be a good representation of our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ.

"Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”

And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:1-8 NKJV

UPDATE: all things considered; it went well. I was super nervous when I got there and my blood pressure showed it, but deep, thoughtful breathing and your prayers (and nitrous oxide) got me through. The numbing wasn't bad either. Dr. Cheng was very good. I love how they say, "You are going to feel a little pinch." Why not just call it like it is?

Anyway, once I was numb it took less than 3 minutes to pull the tooth. I honestly felt nothing. I realized he was putting sutures in and was quite surprised that it happened so quickly.

Thank you for your prayers! I am home with 2 sutures and a prescription for Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen for the pain and Amoxicillin for any potential infection.

Thank you, Douglas Garcia for not only picking me and taking me home, but stopping by the pharmacy first and taking in my prescriptions. ***

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page